Monday, May 5, 2008

Why?

I used to run pretty regularly with my old roommates, Tania and Jason. That was really good, and I felt great when I was doing it. Then I went on a backpacking trip to/through Mexico and didn't go back to running. In October 2007, I went to the doctor, and my weight was at the point where I knew it was going to be a problem soon. I always said, "at least I don't weigh that much." I didn't weigh "that much," but I was right around the corner. It was around that time and all through the winter that I was pretty much a useless blob on my days off from work or school. I was tired ALL the time, was sleeping a lot, and was not eating well at all.

That was when I made time to go to the gym or to go swimming when I could fit it in, but it wasn't quite a priority. Once the weather started to warm up (kind of) in March-ish, I decided to head out for a run. It was pretty painful, though it felt good enough that I went back. I started at about 2 miles, and now am up to about 4. I'm running in a 5K this weekend--Angela could not believe that ("you? are you sure it's you?" She's funny). That should be interesting and fun! Maybe then I'll be a real running junkie, and hooked on races. Buying new running gear is also a pretty good motivator:)

I also try to swim 2x a week and am also taking an adult ballet class once a week. It's all going well, and I generally feel great and am eating better too, since I just don't feel very good if I don't eat well.

After a solid month of healthy choices and devoting myself to them (as shown by the workout log, rather than casual working out, etc) I am down about 15 lbs, but I'm not really keeping track, since that wasn't really the goal. The goal was to feel good and actually want to go workout, establishing healthy habits, which so far I have done pretty well. I have been feeling really good lately and my legs get a funny feeling in them on days when I don't work out, so even on rest days I may take a walk or something just to keep moving.

I should probably get some new clothes soon, since I have to wear a belt with ALL of my pants now so they stay on. But maybe I will just use that dough on some new Chacos....hmmm, decisions, decisions.

One of these days, I will get Jake to go with me. I am thinking that on the next long run day, I may have him chase/follow me on his bike. It would be nice to have a companion once in a while, though I get pretty zenned out when I run. Going for walks with him is pretty great though. Together we should really make more time for that.

No comments: